We know, we know. Groupers don’t have fingers. Yet, these are definitely authentic grouper fingers. We don’t know how it works, but... work with us, people. Follow the steps and you will have grouper fingers — 10 servings.
The ingredients for the fingers:
- 1.4kg grouper fillet
- 30g blackening spices
- some vegetable oil
The stuff for the batter:
- 110g cornstarch
- 170g flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 150mL water
- 200mL beer
- 3 egg whites
Here come the fingers:
- Mix dry ingredients for the batter – cornstarch, flour and salt.
- Add in wet ingredients – water, beer and egg whites – and mix well.
- Place batter in refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Chill. (This part is important.)
- After four hours of chilling, fill your deep fryer (or frying pan) with enough vegetable oil to cover the fish. Preheat the oil.
- Cut the grouper fillet into equal strips, approximately 140g each.
- Marinate with blackening spice.
- Take batter out of fridge. Dip the fish into the batter so it’s evenly covered on both sides. Place it into your deep fryer or frying pan.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Fancy bonus! Serve with your favourite tartar sauce, and add a splash of hot sauce if you want.